User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 8

Page:1...789...19
GrannomAugust 17th, 2008, 11:03 am
Northwest PA

S_G_Hack

Great post, where in Western PA do you live?
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
S_G_HackAugust 18th, 2008, 6:25 am
Western PA

Grannon

I'm about 50 miles east of Pgh, tucked up against the Blue Ridge Mountains.
My brow is furrowed. . . FURROWED I tell you!
GrannomAugust 19th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Northwest PA

Not a bad place to be :)
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
JmanAugust 24th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Mid Missouri

Hi all, glad to be here. Compared to some here I guess I would say I'm a newbie, I've always been an avid fisherman, mostly bass and crappie, until about fifteen years ago when I discoved trout. Please keep in mind in Mid Missouri there are no wild trout only stocked fish parks and tailwater fishing with the exception of one creek that has naturally reproducing rainbows, but still a great outdoor experience none the less. I love tying almost as much as fishing, ok yes I'm lying but tying is right up there with all time favorite things to do. I cannot tell the difference between the different species of mayflies yet but I'm slowly learning, that's how I found this great website. So I hope to visit with those that make up all the forums in the furture and will continue to use them as a reference.

Thanks to all of you that provide your valuable experience and insight to these pages.

A.J.
MartinlfAugust 25th, 2008, 1:10 pm
Palmyra PA

Welcome, A.J. Good to have you on board.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RoyChristieAugust 25th, 2008, 1:22 pm
London UK

Hi, all, I'm new around here.
I'm Roy, live in London UK, fish for trout and grayling and I tie flies; my own designs and recipes and all that stuff.
I dye my own materials, blend furs for dubbing - it's the most challenging part of tying.
I grew up beside a trout stream and fished every spare minute of my youth. I still go fishing whenever I can, many years later.
Jason, this is an excellent site which I have visited quite a few times..., thought it was time to join in.
Keep up the excellent work

Roy
TaxonAugust 25th, 2008, 4:57 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Roy,

Suspect that I am not alone on this board in already being aware of your gorgeous fly dressing. Jason's wonderful macro photography attracts a large international audience, so it will be nice to have someone aboard who can better field some of the European continent insect ID requests. Unfortunately, most of us from N. America are hard pressed to ID much beyond your Mayfly, Ephemera danica. Anyway, am certainly looking forward to your posts.

Sincerely,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
RoyChristieAugust 25th, 2008, 5:47 pm
London UK

Thanks, Roger,

I'm no entomologist, just a flytier. :)
I'll do my best though, to match the hatch.

Flies are flies both sides of the pond, trouts are trouts,
same old game 4000 years on... sadly - less fishes though.

All the best from UK,
Roy

JmanAugust 25th, 2008, 7:18 pm
Mid Missouri

Hey would you be the same Roychristie with the reversed parachute olive- beatis emerger ?

http://www.smallstreams.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2237

I run across this a little earlier...still haven't tied it yet but added to my favorites...brilliant concept...

jman
MartinlfAugust 26th, 2008, 4:54 am
Palmyra PA

I'll second that. Just red Roy's analysis of the need to sink the tippet, and have heard this before. Thanks for the tips. Welcome all!

--Fred Chappell
RoyChristieAugust 26th, 2008, 7:15 am
London UK

Yup, tis indeed me.

good to meet you all,

Roy
Shawnny3August 26th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I had the pleasure of meeting Roy and watch him tie at the Clearwater Junction show this past June. He is a fascinating person to speak with, and one cannot appreciate by simply looking at his flies the dazzling speed and skill with which he ties them - mesmerizing.

Welcome to Jason's site, Roy. By the way, I recently found a tiny brookie stream with both private and public sections. After fishing the public section a few times, I realized that it would be an ideal stream to do a little management on, causing me to recall our conversation about your efforts to improve a treasured stream of yours. It had me dreaming of the possibilities but without any way of realizing them. Then, yesterday, I was catching up with a colleague of mine, and he asked me if I would help him put a roof on a cabin he was building. I asked him where it was, and incredibly it turns out that it's on a 10-acre plot that includes about 150 yards of that very stream. He gave me an open invitation to fish it whenever I want. In 3-4 weeks, I'll be helping him with his roof and I'll be able to take a look at the stream. I'm quite hopeful that, if it could use a little work, he'll let me play around with it some. Thought you might find that interesting.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfAugust 27th, 2008, 5:11 am
Palmyra PA

Interesting Shawn. Deeper holes/cover mean bigger fish on streams such as this. I've been impressed by some restoration work on a favorite stream in which the engineers used inverted U formations of rocks with the top arms of the U touching the banks and pointing downstream. The height of the arms is a bit taller then the bend of the U, which is more in the center of the stream, and upstream from the tops of the arms, if you can follow these confusing descriptions. It keeps water scouring a hole in the center of the stream at all water levels. Let me know when the brookies have settled in the holes and grown a bit. :)

--Fred Chappell
RoyChristieAugust 27th, 2008, 4:22 pm
London UK

Shawn, you have PM.
Let me know if you want a handful of flies to help seal the deal, you can show me 'your' wee stretch when I'm over again.
Build it and they will come. Build it well and they will stay.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32259/ppuser/1766
here is the layout in the tail of that pool...
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32261/ppuser/1766

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32265/ppuser/1766
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32260/ppuser/1766
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32273/ppuser/1766
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32271/ppuser/1766
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php/photo/32269/ppuser/1766

:)

Roy
VulgataOctober 9th, 2008, 7:23 pm
Dorchester, England, UK

Good Morning everyone.

I am another one of those from the other side of the pond.

I have lurked as a visitor to this site for a while, but having recently read "the book" (superb piece of work Mr. Gonzales), I decided it was time to join and spend more time picking all of your flytying brains. Heck I have only been fishing for around 58 or so years and flytying for 36 of those so I have lots still to learn.

I live and mainly fish on "unfashionable" chalk streams in my county of Dorset, for wild Brown Trout and Grayling. Although most years we manage to get over to your side of the pond for a fishing holiday (recently got back from Montana).

I must find the details on how to post photographs; is there a sticky with an explanation?

gb (Vulgata)

GONZOOctober 9th, 2008, 8:14 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Welcome, Gary (and thanks). I enjoyed the clever twist on that famous WWII phrase in your Bio. & Thoughts. :)
Wetfly1October 21st, 2008, 11:16 am
Johnstown, Pa

Hi guys,My name is Dave. Great site and sounds like a good group of guys here. Found this site off another Pa. forum. I am from Johnstown, Pa in Western Pennsylvania. I have been fly fishing for about 32yrs. My home waters are in the Central and North Central areas of Pennsylvania where we have some of the finest freestone and limestone streams in the East. I fish at least 3 to 4 days a week and if I could do it more I would. Three years ago I started a Fly Tying & Guide Service with my life long fishing partner George where we specialize in tying & fishing wetflies. We have spent the last 19yrs fishing nothing but wetflies and have done very on all the streams we fish in Pa and out of the state. I thought it would be a great contibution to our sport to resurrect the old traditional way to fly fish the way our great grandfathers fished. Have been traveling to alot of the fly fishing shows through out the states promoting the old ways and have been received very well. To me its been a life long dream to do something like this and Iam having a blast and also meeting some very nice people along the way. As I said great site looking forward to contributing in any way and hopefully learning some new tricks to.
Dave

wetflywaterguides.com
MartinlfOctober 21st, 2008, 5:17 pm
Palmyra PA

Great to have you posting. My brother-in-law, one of my good fishing buddies, lives in Johnstown, and he is a big fan of wet fly fishing. I've learned some from him; he's fished me under a time or two with those wets!

--Fred Chappell
FloydJanuary 3rd, 2009, 10:47 am
Ingersol, ontario

Just a short note to say hi. I'm a first year fly fisher and loving the sport Should we call it a sport;may be an art? All I know it's addicting. I've fished for everything from crappies to steelhead this year and never pick up a spinning or float rod once.I fish small lakes with a pontoon boat, along with some Lake Erie tribs is my main fishing.Found this site searching for "aquatic insects" ,looks Awsome and saw alot from PA, that might help with my L.Erie tribs.

Thanks
Floyd D
TaxonJanuary 3rd, 2009, 12:16 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Nice intro. Welcome aboard, Floyd. Given your interest in aquatic insects, this is certainly the place to scratch that itch.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Page:1...789...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.