Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 10

Page:1...91011...19
MartinlfAugust 19th, 2009, 9:11 am
Palmyra PA

Happy to have you onboard. Find a fly shop or sporting goods store that handles fly fishing gear and they should be able to point you to a stream or two. Trout fishing is generally tough this time of year, so don't get discouraged. It's a good time to pick up a few fish on terrestrials and to scout for the spring, though.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPAugust 19th, 2009, 11:38 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

and don't wait on the chapter president necessarily. hop on the internet, find the meeting and go. if they're like the chapters here, they will happily welcome you. if they're not, find another one! Fish With A Member got me and Best Fishing Buddy started, and TU earned my eternal gratitude for its welcoming attitude towards new fishers.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
OregonDougSeptember 23rd, 2009, 6:36 pm
Portland, OR

Okay, here's a little about me. I received some birthday money on my 50th in June because I had been talking about getting back to fly fishing after a 37 year hiatus. I got some gear, did a lot of research on line, including this great site, and started fishing.

I live in Portland, OR so I'm fortunate to be able to fish the Deschutes, Metolius, Crooked river (native trout only), the McKenzie and several more. My first forays have been learning mode. Two trips to the lower Deschutes and I've landed one fish. A five inch redside... I've had several strikes, but apparently too much slack in my line. The Metolius was another education. A beautiful spring fed river with native redsides, bull trout and whitefish. I had a few strikes during a green drake hatch, but that was it. I got to see someone land a 20 inch redside and that made the trip worthwhile.

The Crooked River was good to me and I was able to catch some pretty fish there.

I'm enjoying the learning and I think I'm a little bit obsessed.

Doug

Here's my photo blog if you're interested: http://dougrichardsonphotography.blogspot.com/
Oregon Doug

http://dougrichardsonphotography.blogspot.com/
MartinlfSeptember 24th, 2009, 9:51 am
Palmyra PA

Doug, you're on your way to becoming a lot obsessed. Get out while you can. OK, just kidding. Flyfishing provides me with gym and therapist, art gallery, and support group. And a lot of good camaraderie. Good to see you posting; I'll take a look at your blog.

--Fred Chappell
Flyguy212October 1st, 2009, 4:49 pm
pennsylvina

I WILL RITE MORE
Flyguy212October 1st, 2009, 4:49 pm
pennsylvina

I WILL RITE MORE
JackbrosnanNovember 25th, 2009, 12:23 am
Jack Brosnan
Link to Amazon
Jack Brosnan
Langara Island Fishing
TaxonNovember 25th, 2009, 3:25 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hello Jack,

That href-less link is clever. Do you fly fish, or have an interest in bugs, or what?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TilmanDecember 7th, 2009, 10:38 am
Gemany

Hi there.

I´m 33 years old and started flytying this year. I live in germany and i haven´t got any good brooks near my town.
I really enjoy flytying and have spent lots of time with it this year.

There is a little more info in my profile, so feel free to visit.
"Live and Learn" - Mr. Spock

http://www.directupload.net/galerie/154319/LfyCOrbM3j/0
Ukfb1December 7th, 2009, 7:06 pm
kentucky

What a great site. I hope to be able to take the info from here to the stream. I am a beginner to flyfishing, 51yrs old, raised in eastern KY on bigmouth bass, bluegill, crappie and catfish, started flyfishing a little over five months ago and on the water six times, not alot of streams in eastern KY. I am fishing WV or the SW streams of VA, with my starting point of our cabin in Bastin VA. I am excited to report my first catch on a flyrod of a rainbow of 10" last week. Looking forward to many great days on the water and info from this site.

Rusty
GutcutterDecember 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Pennsylvania

hey folks my name is tony and i am an addict...
been lookin at this site for a year or so and finally had the time to sign up. been at this since the family vacation to yellowstone in 1976 when i was 13. never saw anything so beautiful as a line unfurling into the gallitan river. started tying a few years later. didn't marry 'til almost 40 onacounta all the fishing i needed to do - or so i thought. been from maine to montana, minnesota to key west and just about everywhere in between. flyfished for every species you can imagine and some that you can't (ever see a tigerfish?). but i keep winding up back at the same old pennsylvania spring creeks and north central freestones whenever i can take myself away from my bride and children. can't wait 'till they are old enough to stream flyfish. they all have hooked and landed sunfish on my local ponds with a 4wt rigged with a 6wt line that they roll casted themself (my daughters are more coordinated than my sons).
i am a sight fisherman - dries, emergers and nymphs. no bobbers or weights for me. i don't mind people doing it that way - caught hundreds, maybe thousands with indicators - but it isn't for me anymore. i now pretty much just fish hatches and the stages within each hatch. i have so little time to fish anymore that i pick and choose my "scheduled" days/weeks to fish. i love tying mayflies and that is how i first found this site - looking at the amazing bug photos. i look forward to learning from you folks...
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3December 9th, 2009, 6:43 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome Tilman, Rusty, and Gut. Look forward to getting to know you better and reading your contributions.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
BigflyDecember 9th, 2009, 8:42 am
Truckee, CA.

I'm Jim, AKA. "Bigfly" and I'm a dealer! Guiding on the Truckee River in CA. The "Tuffy" has been home base for twenty years, traveled and fished around. Like Gut I started in the early 70's with bubble and fly. Switched to just fly because bait, spinner, and bubble, was just too easy. Haven't had a problem with a lack of challenge since!
I like the feeling that I may see something new, every time I go out.
Bet most the rest of you feel the same, 3, or 53 years. Keep up the great work Jason!
www.Bigflyguideservice.com
MartinlfDecember 9th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Palmyra PA

I'll second Shawn's welcome to all newcomers. This is a great site. I've met some Troutnuts in the flesh due to it, and fished with them. Others, like Taxon (Roger), CaseyP, Oldredbarn, Jonathon, and others, I look forward to fishing with someday, if the trout gods allow. Tight lines, brothers and sisters of the magic wand. OK, that's corny, but you get my drift, right. :)))

--Fred Chappell
Jim584thFebruary 20th, 2010, 6:54 am
Candia, NH

While fishing the Newfound River in Bristol, NH on the 18th of February, we saw four stoneflies. All were about 1/2 inch long, dark grey. The temp was about 40, mostly sunny.
Any thoughts about the fly pattern?
Jim
jim
Bill_WtrmnSeptember 14th, 2010, 11:35 am
Nevada City, Ca

Hello All!

My name is Bill and I am from Nevada City Ca. Where are all my Ca anglers?? I have been a "lurker" for some years now. I love this site and have posted twice today so far. wooo hooo. Anyway I'm putting together a new site of free resources for little known trout fishing tips. Please drop me a line if you have tips or secrets you think are just too juicy to hold on too.

Thanks Troutnut Forum!!

Bill

Tips for better trout fishing.

Bill_Wtrmn
JmccoyOctober 20th, 2010, 11:21 am
Posts: 1A friend and I recenly went fishing for Trout in Southern Utah. We both agreed to a $20 big trout between him and I. We had caught brown, rainbow, the day before. The guy I was fishing with caugh a White Fish which was the biggest but in my mind I was thinking Brown, Rainbow and his mind as well if he wouldnt have caught the White Fish. - I had caught the biggest Brown Trout up till that point. Who should win the big fish? I understand the White Fish is a member of the Trout family but is considered a trash fish. This is my first time on the Forum and I can't figure out how to post a general question. i think I may be replying to someone else's question.
Thanks,

EscapeNovember 18th, 2010, 10:50 pm
British Columbia

Hello everyone!
My name is Anna and I’m from Canada, (Vancouver, BC). I love fishing, and I decided that this is the time to try something more sophisticated than spin casting and float fishing. Right now, I’m hoping to get enough insight so by the spring time I will be well prepared!
PaulRobertsNovember 19th, 2010, 4:45 am
Colorado

Jmccoy, At the top of each board look for 'New Topic', then click it.

As to the whitefish -I personally would count it. They take flies nicely, so I like them. But you'd have to agree ahead of time maybe. In some rivers, including whitefish could change the game as, once you recognize the water they like, they can be pretty easy to catch. A hot whitefish stick could be hard to beat.

Hi Anna, welcome. Gosh, where to start.... get some fly-casting instruction -that's the first real physical barrier. Getting tackle together, is a matter of reading, and chatting, before you buy too much. As to learning about trout streams, trout, and what they eat: Read, chat, fish...then read, chat, fish some more. As to physically catching fish, the fish are the best teachers. Go fish. Enjoy it. Fly-fishing, especially without direct intensive instruction, takes some time to get the hang of, longer to get proficient; "mastery" is a relative term.
Rckymtn_fshJanuary 4th, 2011, 10:16 am
Divide, CO

Hey all, my name is Matt and I live in Divide, CO. Live pretty close to the South Platte and many very small brookie ( my favorite type) streams. I have been fly fishing for almost 10 years now. Since about the time I could drive myself to the river. Learned to fly fish on Bear creek in Evergreen- Morrison area. Love all types of fly fishing, but especially high sticking pocket water ;). Anyways been lurking for a long time now, just thought I would say hi...
"These brook trout will strike any fly you present, provided you don't get close enough to present it."
-- Dick Blalock

Page:1...91011...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.