Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Isoperla nymphs

Millcreek has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
Isoperla marmorata. In alcohol. 14mm (excluding cerci).
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.6X larger)
Shown Full Size
Isoperla marmorata. In alcohol. Ventral view of head.
Isoperla marmorata. In alcohol. Ventral view of head.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.6X larger)
Isoperla mormona. In alcohol. 8 mm (excluding cerci).
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
Isoperla mormona. In alcohol. 7 mm (excluding cerci).
Isoperla mormona. In alcohol. 7 mm (excluding cerci).
MillcreekSeptember 3rd, 2014, 3:10 pm
Healdsburg, CA

These two Isoperla nymphs are common in the Russian River in the early part of the year (late January to mid April). As far as I can determine they're Isoperla marmorata and Isoperla mormona. I used Merritt, Cummins and Berg as well as "Nymphs of North American Stonefly Genera" by Stewart and Stark to identify the nymphs to genus. I used Sandberg's "The Isoperla of California (Plecoptera: Perlodidae); Larval Descriptions and a Key to 17 Western Nearctic Species" to identify them to species. http://www2.pms-lj.si/illiesia/papers/Illiesia07-22.pdf .

Sandberg's key is for male larvae and the photos of Isoperla marmorata shown here are female but identification was made with male specimens.

All specimens were in alcohol but the photos were taken within 12 hours of collection so the coloration is accurate.
OldredbarnSeptember 3rd, 2014, 6:27 pm
Novi, MI

Nice pics! If you have it, could you give us a ball-park measurement on these?

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MillcreekSeptember 3rd, 2014, 10:28 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Nice pics! If you have it, could you give us a ball-park measurement on these?

Spence, The measurements are in the captions under the photos. 14 mm for I.marmorata and 7-8 mm for I. mormona. The measurements are for body length and don't include the cerci.
OldredbarnSeptember 4th, 2014, 12:40 am
Novi, MI

How did I over look that?!

Thanks.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanSeptember 4th, 2014, 2:27 am
Northern CA & ID

Thanks for the link, Mark. Going beyond genus with Stoneflies and Caddis is often much more difficult as access to the literature is not easy or cheap. Kudos for sharing. Stones are especially fun as many if not most have determinative characters that can be identified in photos.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MillcreekSeptember 4th, 2014, 10:57 am
Healdsburg, CA

Thanks for the link, Mark

You're welcome. It is harder to find literature on Plecoptera or Trichoptera but there are a few sites that are useful.

For Plecoptera, Illiesia Journal has a wide range of articles on Plecoptera by experts in the field. It can be accessed here: http://www2.pms-lj.si/illiesia/html/papers.html. The only problem with the site is it doesn't seem to have a search function (or I'm missing it) so you have to scroll through a listing of articles.

For Trichoptera, the University of Minnesota has the Trichoptera Literature Database at; http://www.trichopteralit.umn.edu/.

For both plus Ephemeroptera, JSTOR has limited free access to articles. You have to register with them to gain access which can be done here: http://about.jstor.org/rr.

For Ephemeroptera there's Ephemeroptera Galactica. Only problem with it is you need to know the author of the paper you're looking for. It used to have a limited search function but after Michael Hubbard died and the site was administered by others this seems to have disappeared. The articles are here: http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/mfbib.php.

And of course Google, Google Scholar and Google Books are all good scources.

How did I over look that?!

Spence - I did some editing on the captions, so if you were looking then the measurements may not have been there. Or it was brain slippage. :)
OldredbarnSeptember 4th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Novi, MI

Spence - I did some editing on the captions, so if you were looking then the measurements may not have been there. Or it was brain slippage. :)

Brain slippage...I like that. You are so nice to this old coot! :)

Spence

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.