Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Red-legged stonefly

PaulRobertsMarch 16th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Colorado

While we're onto stoneflies, who is the mid-sized to large "golden"/"tiger" stonefly with bright red legs. I'd caught some a while back and never ID'd them. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember where I caught them (NY or CO) and don't have the time right now to dig through my journals. Are there any bright blood-red legged stones out there?
EntomanMarch 16th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Paul,

While we're onto stoneflies

Sorry about that. For some of you that may be wondering why I posted all the stonefly topics out of the blue, it's because I'm editing that section of the hatch Pages. The reason they show up in the forum is so that everybody: a. is made aware of the updates and, b. can comment on the determinations or taxa information.

who is the mid-sized to large "golden"/"tiger" stonefly with bright red legs

Based on your use of the word 'tiger', I'm assuming it was pretty brightly marked which makes me think it's a species of Perlidae, subfamily Perlinae (assuming it had obvious thoracic gills). The Acroneuriinae are rarely described this way. I doubt you took this specimen in CO. In the West, we have it a little easier because of only having one species of Perlinae, the monotypic Claassenia sabulosa. I have never heard of a variant described with red legs, though I guess it's possible. More than likely it came from your NY days and is some variant of the Perlinae species found there: Agnetina capitata, Neoperla occipitalis, Paragnetina immarginata, or P. media.

Anybody from NY run into a red legged perlid that can help with this?

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMarch 16th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Colorado

Yes it's a Perlid. It's not C. sabulosa so it must have been NY. I'll have to go through my journals I guess -they are in book form and therefore not searchable. There was a time when I knew where everything in them was. Use it or lose it sort of thing.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.