Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Chinook Salmon Run 2011

Pryal74 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
First beast of the year.
First beast of the year.
My brother with a monster male.
My brother with a monster male.
38" giant hen.  45 minute battle on my 7 wt.
38" giant hen. 45 minute battle on my 7 wt.
Latched on to a freight train.
Latched on to a freight train.
I could barely life this guy... my forearms were shot.
I could barely life this guy... my forearms were shot.
My brother with another big fella.
My brother with another big fella.
Client Mathew A. with his first ever Chinook Salmon.
Client Mathew A. with his first ever Chinook Salmon.
Another monster buck.
Another monster buck.
Client Kevin O. with his first ever King Salmon.
Client Kevin O. with his first ever King Salmon.
This guy had some reddish coloration on his sides.
This guy had some reddish coloration on his sides.
Smaller male.
Smaller male.
Client Drew releasing a giant hen.
Client Drew releasing a giant hen.
Last King of the season.
Last King of the season.
Pryal74January 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Escanaba, MI

This was one of the best King Salmon runs of my life. It was pure excitement and some sore hands I would gladly go through anytime. The only downer was later in the season, all the snaggers and poachers.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
WbranchJanuary 19th, 2012, 10:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

"The only downer was later in the season, all the snaggers and poachers."

Don't any conservation officers patrol that water?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GldstrmSamJanuary 20th, 2012, 2:25 am
Fairbanks, Alaska

Where were you fishing? Those fish are amazing!! The one of the guy fighting the fish made my adrenaline rush.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Pryal74January 20th, 2012, 6:14 am
Escanaba, MI

@Wbranch The conservation officers here are assigned to multiple counties as I understand it. During this season, there are also a lot of deer violators as well. So they seem to have their attention focused in many areas. I know a guy I play hockey with who is a CO. He told me during the Chinook Salmon run he handed out tickets for over 2 hours one evening on a river I fish. It's just a shame they don't drop in there more often.

@GldstrmSam In the Upper Peninsula and thank you. That's me with a huge male King. It's pretty intense, especially on a 7 wt.
-James Pryal
OldredbarnJanuary 20th, 2012, 9:56 am
Novi, MI

Nope! No dough here in Michigan Matt...You are more likely to run in to a conservation officier during these runs since big fish bring out the crowds, but otherwise no.

The Au Sable & Manistee run through Crawford county...They had, for a long time, only one guy watching over the whole place and on nice warm summer days he was out on Lake Margrethe writing boaters tickets...Probably more potential revenue there.

I have said it here before...I have just turned 58 earlier this month, fished all my life, never had anyone ask to see my fishing license...Now, I have had conversations with the DNR at access sites after an evening of fishing, but I think they take one look at me...fly rod in hand, over-loaded vest :), and no creel or stringer of fish and pass. Just ask me how I did. I guess when you are not guilty of anything, save being over prepared, you don't act guilty. :) No hiding in the woods, hiding dead fish, etc...I usually walk right up to them and say good evening.

Same in Montana too...I remember in 1995 a DNR worker asking me to help him with a survey he was taking of anglers on the Madison about Whirling disease. I ran in to him twice and he never asked for my license.

Spence

I was walking a path along the lower Au Sable near Oscoda years back with my stepfather. He was fishing I was not. The salmon/steelies can make it upstream here to the first dam from Lake Huron. I watched as a DNR officier gave a snagger a ticket...All the guys around him were just standing around like boys getting ready to head off to see the principle with no rods in their hands...When the officer approached they threw them down . (?) Again, this was a place known for the crowds.

James...When were these photos taken? I fished the Pere Marquette in September and we already had some sour looking fish in there. Your fish look fairly fresh and healthy.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DoublespeyJanuary 20th, 2012, 10:02 am
Appears you were using the new, Sage ONE rod? In WA St. I think the salmon river violations are federal violations, and can be a lot harsher penalty...I think. It can be a 'foaming at the mouth" event when salmon are in the river especially Kings. Much greater interest than steelhead where I fished them on the WA Coast. Mom, dad and the kids would set up camp on the river bank when the King Salmon run was in full force. There is also a technique of hooking them when they are schooled up called "lining" fish that can be effective, and being fair, or foul hooked called into question...gets debated anyway. Very nice King, and photos.
Pryal74January 20th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Escanaba, MI

@ Oldredbarn These fish are from the U.P. also. I can time their run within a few days usually. You pretty much nailed it on the head with Michigan having no money here. Just not enough bodies around to cover all this open area.

@ Doublespey I am using a Sage Flight but you were very close. Thanks.
-James Pryal
EntomanJanuary 20th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

Nope! No dough here in Michigan Matt

Same with CA as well... Out here anyway, it is the result of the state throwing licence fees into the general fund. The geometric rise in licence fees (based on what they hoped to squeeze out of sportsman to increase GF coffers, not what it took to run the DFG) coupled with dramatic cuts in the DFG budget are real problems. The former actually resulting in less revenue and reduced numbers participating (politicians never seem to get this), the latter caused by other needs for funds deemed more pressing. Many warned this would result when aggregating DFG revenue to the GF was first proposed, which of course met with fierce denials at the time.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanJanuary 21st, 2012, 5:06 pm
Northern CA & ID

Sorry, I have a little more to get off my chest.:)

Charging some poor guy $150 or more so he has "permission" to take his wife and kids on a picnic and dunk a few worms a couple of times a year is outrageous... We've lost all those participants which is a big factor in the eclipse of our culture's connection to field sports. A family of four that wants to go hunt doves off the edge of their uncle Albert's orchard a single time will have to shell out damn near $300! I suspect the vast majority of kids today have never been hunting or fishing, let alone had any exposure to positive aspects of the activity. They have heard how brutal we all are though. The spark for many towards a lifetime of participation was an initial casual exposure. That possibility has been effectively removed from the mix in many locales. Sad...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsJanuary 24th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Colorado

Sorry, I have a little more to get off my chest.:)

Charging some poor guy $150 or more so he has "permission" to take his wife and kids on a picnic and dunk a few worms a couple of times a year is outrageous... We've lost all those participants which is a big factor in the eclipse of our culture's connection to field sports. A family of four that wants to go hunt doves off the edge of their uncle Albert's orchard a single time will have to shell out damn near $300! I suspect the vast majority of kids today have never been hunting or fishing, let alone had any exposure to positive aspects of the activity. They have heard how brutal we all are though. The spark for many towards a lifetime of participation was an initial casual exposure. That possibility has been effectively removed from the mix in many locales. Sad...

Ditto. And well said.

I don't mind putting money into the generally spectacularly effective natural resource management system we have in place this country today. Heck, most people annually invest way more in fast food restaurants, junk food, computer games and other toys. But to have such funds confiscated to a general fund is simply ... corrupt.
PaulRobertsJanuary 24th, 2012, 12:31 pm
Colorado

"The only downer was later in the season, all the snaggers and poachers."

Phew.... Don't get me started. I left that behind years ago and it still makes my ears red just thinking about it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.