Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Please ID

FISHN50 has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
FISHN50August 24th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Metuchen NJ

Please Id these. I'm doing my first ever (for me) stream study & have never ran into these before
EntomanAugust 24th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi fishn50,

Did you get the first one from the water? The bottom one is a pupating caddis larvae. Probably a rhyacophilid from the looks of it.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FISHN50August 24th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Metuchen NJ

Hi Entoman

Thanks for the quick reply. The first one also came out of the water. It was collected in the D net. like I said I never ran into either one of those before. I assumed the second one was a "green Rockworm" pupa case because we picked up quite a few larva,. The first one is one of 4 we picked up in the sampling

Thank's
Neil
TaxonAugust 25th, 2011, 2:59 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Neil-

I believe your 1st photo is of a millipede. They are sightless, and are apparently not particularly deterred by a stream which intersects their path. Some may also be semi-aquatic.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanAugust 25th, 2011, 3:49 am
Northern CA & ID

Your welcome.

As to the two critters in the top photo - The big multi-legged one looks like some sort of millipede or centipede to me. I'm not up on many of the land based invertebrates and can't tell you what it is or really offer in explanation as to how it got into the water other than bad luck.:)

The little guy in the lower left though I think I can help with. It looks to be a member of the Philopotamidae family of finger net spinning caddisflys. Its long ovoid head makes me think Dolophilodes distincta or Winter Caddis. Despite its name this species can have summer emergences, but this particular specimen looks to be a part of the group that emerges from November to as late as February. A curious thing about them is the winter brood females have dwarfed wings and don't fly.

Enlarging the photo shows a dark area it the anterior margin that could be the prominent notch indicative of the Chimarra genus (another philopotamid), but the heads of Chimarra are usually less ovoid and thicker. They are also often noticeably shorter from the eyes to the posterior margin and as wide or wider than the pronotum at their joining.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnAugust 25th, 2011, 10:45 am
Novi, MI

They are sightless, and are apparently not particularly deterred by a stream which intersects their path. Some may also be semi-aquatic.

I like this Roger..."Some may also be semi-aquatic"...Yeah...Like after they fall in...;)

I think we have been near here before in another thread. There may be aquatic centi-millipede's or they may be able to survive the crossing of streams...Otherwise they would have to go around them and would of lived quite an isolated life...;)

My sugesstion is to ignore it from a fishing standpoint or tie yourself up some long-as-hell-shanked Whooly Worms...Here's a small puzzle: Is it Wooly Worm or Whooly Worm or Whooley Worm and why?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.