Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fish & Camp Destination

Ste6168December 2nd, 2020, 7:39 am
Posts: 1Hi all - I am on the hunt for some information, which hopefully you Troutnuts may be able to provide some insight into. I currently reside in eastern NC, primarily saltwater fish, but grew up in western PA, fishing the rivers and trout streams... I am looking to plan a trip this upcoming year with my son (10 yo), plus a friend and his son, whom is still in PA. Ideally, the drive would be about the same for the both of us, so looking at Southern WV, Western VA, and Western NC areas. What we would like is a nice, primative camp location (not a huge campground with 100 RVs), preferrebly on/within walking distance to some fish spots. NOT a paid trout pond/lake, trout fishings streams, possibly even smallies, in which we can wade fish, would be ideal. I could drag along a canoe or a kayak/two IF we could use or need them. UL spinning tackle would be the game with the kids, more than likely no fly rods.

I have done a bit of googling, and haven't had much luck. Any insight?
MartinlfDecember 2nd, 2020, 9:53 pm
Palmyra PA

Some streams to consider in NC might be Wilson's, the Nantahala, etc. I did a little looking and found this site. My next step, were I you, would be to find fly shops near these streams and call them. They might know about camping opportunities: https://www.planetware.com/north-carolina/top-rated-rivers-for-trout-fishing-in-north-carolina-us-nc-51.htm Searches of WV and VA for trout streams will yield similar lists, then you can search for shops. Years ago I floated the James in Virginia for smallmouth and had a great trip, camping from the canoe. I'm sure there are many opportunities out there.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.